Saturday, July 6, 1861: From Goderich to Toronto, Canada West, by
In Toronto, the men stayed at
the Rossin House, at the southeast corner of the intersection of King and York Streets.
[It was destroyed by fire in 1862. The hotel was rebuilt the following year. In 1909, its name was changed to the Prince George Hotel.
The building was torn down in the 1960s to make way for more contemporary
structures to serve the surrounding financial district. Today rising up from
that corner looms the 25-story Standard Life Centre, a tower of granite and
glass that opened in 1984.]